Take These Steps to Reduce Wrinkles Without Injections
Wrinkles and fine lines are a sign of wisdom and experience, but for many of us, they appear before we are ready to embrace them. And while BOTOX and dermal fillers are the go-to methods for reducing the signs of aging, are there other options if you’d rather avoid needles? In this post, we examine some ways to treat wrinkles without injections, and how these stand up to injectable fillers and neurotoxins.
Can you treat wrinkles at home?
While at-home treatments simply can’t deliver the kind of transformation that is possible with plastic surgery or injectables, certain products can help slow the signs of aging and soften fine lines. The team at MindBodyGreen recently discussed various tactics for reducing wrinkles at home; here are our favorite ideas from their list:
- SPF. You’ve surely had the importance of wearing sunscreen impressed upon you from a young age, but we’ll reiterate it here: sunscreen is one of your first and best lines of defense against wrinkles because it blocks the sun’s harmful UV rays from damaging elastin fibers in your skin.
- Smart topical products. Medical-grade skincare products can further protect your skin while providing essential nutrients such as retinoids, alpha-hydroxy acids, niacinamide, anti-aging peptides, and/or growth factors. But with so many options, it’s important to consult with a medical skincare professional to help determine which products are appropriate for treating your unique skin concerns. (Working with a medical practice will also save you from wasting time and money on OTC skincare: while some products include similar nutrients, the concentrations are much lower, making it unlikely you will see any real results.) From Revision Skincare to ZO Skin Health, shop our favorite skincare products here. Our skin care specialists tailor at home regimens to fit your specific needs. We recommend a complimentary consultation to get you on track to proper skin health.
- Supplements. When it comes to supplements, many are not medically proven; however, one supplement long-known for its ability to support skin health is vitamin C. Vitamin C helps promote collagen production and is needed for its synthesis and maintenance. Making sure you get enough vitamin C in your diet will likely improve your skin’s overall health—just make sure to choose a high-quality, trusted supplement brand.
Incorporating these at-home techniques should provide some noticeable wrinkle protection and modest reduction over time, but if you really want to see smoother, more youthful skin fast, it’s time to head to a true medspa.
At-home treatments simply can’t deliver the kind of transformation that is possible with plastic surgery or injectables, but certain products can help slow aging and soften fine lines.
How can a medspa treat wrinkles without injectables?
A true medical spa offers a variety of physician-supervised treatments designed to remove layers of dead skin cells, hydrate skin, and encourage collagen production. Here are a few of our favorite non-injectable medspa treatments for wrinkles and lines:
- A HydraFacial can help you achieve softer, smoother skin in a relaxing treatment that involves zero needles or downtime. The treatment utilizes a gentle, deep-cleansing jet of water infused with nourishing antioxidant serums to exfoliate, cleanse, and finally replenish your skin’s essential nutrients. For an added rejuvenating boost, your HydraFacial can be customized to include a connective tissue growth factor designed to promote natural collagen and elastin production and help reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Unlike some skin treatments, HydraFacial is also completely safe for patients who have darker complexions, as well as for those with skin issues such as melasma.
- Radiofrequency microneedling delivers high-intensity radiofrequency energy deep into your skin via an array of insulated needles. This warms the deep dermis to stimulate new collagen fiber growth and tighten skin, leading to visible skin improvements that improve over the following months. This hard-working treatment has been touted by celebrities for its ability to quickly diminish fine lines and other blemishes, like sunspots and acne scars.
- Laser skin resurfacing may sound intimidating, but it’s one of the most effective methods of treating wrinkles and lines on the face and body. Laser skin resurfacing utilizes focused beams of heat and light energy to encourage newer, healthier skin growth. At The Swan Center, we use the HALO Hybrid Fractional Laser because it provides the fully rejuvenating benefits of an ablative laser but with less downtime.
What’s the best way to permanently get rid of wrinkles?
Unfortunately, short of having surgical procedures at intervals, there’s really no way to permanently remove and prevent wrinkles. However, since deep lines—like nasolabial “smile” lines—are caused in part by volume loss, dermal fillers can go a long way in reducing their appearance.
We know you are probably reading this in an effort to avoid fillers, but before you write injectables off, let’s consider the main reasons people give for wanting to avoid them:
- Fear of poor results: Many people assume injectable fillers create a fake, puffy look because they have only noticed patients with poor results. Consider, however, that you’ve likely seen lots of good injectable work without realizing it—after all, most celebrities make use of them. And the truth is, retaining a completely natural look is possible: skilled injectors who understand advanced techniques consistently achieve this goal. For example, when treating the nasolabial folds, a physician who is fully versed in facial anatomy will often take an indirect approach with fillers, treating surrounding areas to naturally lift the tissues below (rather than only treating the immediate area which can lead to the “duck face” look).
- Fear of needles/pain: A skilled injector will take a number of steps to reduce pain and anxiety during treatment. If this is an issue for you, talk to your provider and consider trying a minor injectable treatment first.
- A perception that fillers can be harmful: While it is true that some unscrupulous providers have injected patients with harmful substances, legitimate filler products have a long history of safe use on millions of patients.
- A desire to avoid “unnatural” substances: It would be easy to assume injectable fillers must be made of foreign substances, but hyaluronic acid—the key ingredient in our go-to dermal filler, Restylane—is already produced naturally in your body. Fillers simply boost the amount you have, placing it right where you most want it.
We advocate for dermal fillers because they can achieve structural appearance changes that no other non-surgical option offers. For example, plumping the cheeks with fillers will not only help reduce smile lines but also give a lifted look to your entire face, reflect more light into your eyes, and enhance your face’s symmetry.
But do I need dermal fillers to get rid of wrinkles?
There are essentially three options to choose from when it comes to fighting wrinkles:
- Utilize medical-grade skincare and medspa wrinkle treatments as a way to slow aging and soften the appearance of fine lines.
- Use dermal filler injections; they are the safest, most effective way to immediately reduce the appearance of wrinkles (and you can choose a completely natural hyaluronic-acid based formula).
- Have a surgical lifting procedure; while surgery requires an investment of time and money, a skillfully performed facelift can treat deeper folds and wrinkles, turning back the clock about a decade.
While the most ideal long-term results ultimately come from using a combination of all of the above techniques, if you want to completely avoid fillers, we suggest being extra attentive to your skincare routine, seeking regular medspa treatments, and having a surgical procedure when skin laxity becomes more apparent.
Wrinkle reduction in Atlanta
At The Swan Center in Atlanta, our board certified plastic surgeons and skilled aestheticians have the skill, experience, and technology to help you reverse and prevent the signs of aging with or without injectables. To make a skincare plan that meets your goals and comfort level, contact us today or call (770) 667-0904.